Translator for people around the world

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tutoring with Shiraishi sensei: Lesson 2!

Tutoring with Shirishi Sensei
Lesson Two: Are squares always Rectangles?
Grade level: Sixth Grade
Student: Cutie Pie

Time for your second lesson


Hey guys! I got another email and this one is from Cutie pie. Let's see what it says!

Konichiwa Shiraishi-sensei!

My problem isn't excatly teaching me. It's for a project with a partner, but the problem is we don't agree with the same thing. I don't know how to explain it, so I was hoping you could explain how all rectangles are squares, but not all squares are rectangles. 

Arigato!

Hi Cutie pie! Explaining that stuff is really tricking! Let me start with saying you are really smart to get that right, instead of your partner being dumb. It's usual for students to make a mistake on that! 

I had a classmate make this mistake in the 5th grade too! We were in table groups and we were supposed to agree on this. He undertands it now.

You can explain it using different examples like:

- Are all girls humans, but all humans girls

- Is all lollipops candy, but all candy lollipops?

- Orange is a color, however not all colors are orange

- All gowns are dresses, yet not all dresse are gowns

I think you get it now. This way your partner will learn their mistake.

Good luck on your project!

2 comments: